Journey Into the Light - December 21 - Our Shepherd

        "'But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
        for out of you will come a ruler who will be the shepherd of my people Israel.'"  Matthew 2:6

        Jesus once told the story of a lost sheep that wandered away and could not be found. The shepherd leaves all of the other sheep and goes to look for the one lost sheep, not stopping until the sheep is found. When the sheep is discovered, the shepherd joyfully rests it on his shoulders and carries it home. He then calls his friends and neighbors together, inviting them to celebrate with him the safe recovery of his sheep. The story ends here, but its impact does not. No matter how often we hear it we are moved because we know what it feels like to be lost, and we know the desperate longing of wanting to be found. We so badly want to be safe, to be taken care of, to be held in love-filled arms and celebrated. We know what it is to desire the comfort and joy that can only be found in the gentle strength and delight of the One who is searching for us.          
        Just like the lost sheep in the story, we have a shepherd, the Good Shepherd, who has come for us, and who constantly pursues us with his love. Isaiah writes of him, "See, the Sovereign Lord comes with power...He tends his flock like a shepherd: he gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart" (Isaiah 40:11). All that we long for and everything we need is found in the tender heart of our Shepherd who came as a baby, born of Mary and the Spirit, to lay his life down for ours. We have been found.

The LORD is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff 
protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing 
my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love 
will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house 
of the LORD
forever. 
Psalm 23, NLT